HOW WE BEGAN
- In 1979, Mr. Shin Torigoe, then a professor at Waseda University, offered his enormous
collection of children's literature. (including books and periodicals published
in the 19th century) to the Governor of Osaka Prefecture. It was decided
that the International Institute for Children's Literature,Osaka (IICLO)
should be established to make the best use of this gift. While an administrative
office began preparatory work, the Institute staff and other children's
literature specialists met to discuss how the IICLO should function. Finally,
on May 5, 1984, the IICLO was formally opened in the EXPO '70 Commemoration
Park in Osaka, the first institute in Japan devoted to the study of children's
literature and the foundation of the International Institute for Children's
Literature, Osaka became a trustee of the the Institute.
- ¡Lectures and courses on children¡Çs literature and reading promotion
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¦For librarians, teachers and volunteers
¢Nissan Children¡Çs Storybook and Picture Book Grand Prix
£¡ÈHon-Navi Kids (Book Navigation for Kids)¡É
a system for supporting reading activities through internet
¡öco-research project: The department of Library and Information Studies
at Tsukuba University and Fujitsu Tohoku Systems Co. Ltd..
- ¤International affairs
- ¡¦The International Grimm Award
¡¦Exchanging information and materials with overseas institutions
- ¥Participation in the Activity of Liaison Council of Promotion for Child
Reading Activity in Osaka Prefecture
¦Research and publication projects
- §Collecting materials on children¡Çs literature
- ¡þOffice: Osaka Prefectural Central Library
- ¡þAddress¡§1-2-1, Aramoto- kita, Higashi Osaka-shi, 577-0011
¡þ Staff: President, an executive director, an administrator and a researcher.
¡þ Open: Tuesday to Saturday, 8:45-17:30
¡þClosed: Mondays, End of month, the New Year Holiday Season (Dec.29th-Jan.3rd)
- Subway Chuo line (Kintetsu Keihanna line) to Aramoto station, take (exit
1) northwest about 400 m.